January 10, 2024 Newsletter
Parent Portal Link
Download the App
Jan. 15 - No School - MLK Day
Jan. 19 - End of 1st Semester
Jan. 22 - No School
Feb. 5 - PTO Meeting, 6:00pm (Virtual)
Feb. 9 - No School
Feb. 15 - Yearbook Group Pictures, 8:30AM
Feb. 19 - PTO Kringle Sale Starts
The Oshkosh Area School District invites parents/guardians to participate in a practical and entertaining five-week parenting program, beginning February 21, from 5-7 p.m. at South Park Middle School. This program is open to anyone who works with children or has children of their own. Participants have the opportunity to meet with other parents/guardians/educators and discuss and practice a new strategy each week.
Do you want to feel more confident as a parent?
Would you like to have more fun parenting?
Do you want to feel more relaxed at the end of the day?
Are you interested in learning practical parenting skills that you can use immediately?
This program is for you - all for only $10 which covers the cost of the manual. LEARN MORE: Love and Logic Flyer - February 2024
Food Service News
FREE AND REDUCED MEAL APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
are available online on the Infinite Campus Parent Portal. Look under the "More" tab in the menu and look for "Meal Benefits". Forms were also mailed out in the US mail to all households in mid-July. Please return your completed application to the Food Services Office, Oshkosh West High School, 375 N. Eagle St., Oshkosh, WI 54902, or the Elementary School Office your child attends on or before the first day of school.
HAVE LUNCH WITH YOUR CHILD All Elementary Schools and the Food Services Department invites parents of school-age children to have lunch with their child any school day. Please let the school office know in advance so we can make sure a lunch gets ordered for you. You may bring money with you to pay for the meal or the adult lunch can be charged to your students Food Service Account.
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN THE SCHOOL FOOD SERVICE DEPARTMENT
The food service department is seeking individuals to work for our department serving breakfast and / or lunch. The majority of these positions available are 1.5 - 2 hours in length and are during the breakfast and lunch service time, which varies with the school. Opportunities for longer shifts and additional hours may also be available. Please see the WECAN at https://wecan.education.wisc.edu website for employment opportunities along with applying for positions within the Food Service Department.
Winter Recess Rules Reminder
Well the white stuff is back and will be around for a while! That means it's time for a reminder about the rules we have on our playground with snow. Please review these rules with your child so we can all have a safe recess.
- Boots and snow pants must be worn for students to enter the field or play equipment areas. Those places can not be shoveled and student will get wet.
- If your child only has boots or shoes they need to stay on the shoveled areas of the playground/sidewalks.
- Students are not allowed to play on the snow hills. This is a district decision. Students like to play on top while others dig into the bottom and it is just an accident waiting to happen.
· Snow needs to stay on the ground. As soon as a student picks up snow it seemed to get thrown.
- Students can build snowmen or forts on the playground but that doesn't mean that someone else won't play with it. A snowman during one recess may be repurposed as walls of a fort during another. We all have to be OK with others using the snow as well.
Kid's Heart Challenge
Our students are having fun learning how and why we take care of our hearts and what we can do to help others.
Sign Up Today:
Download the AHA Schools APP and Register:
Click “Send a Message” and TEXT 10 Friends and Family asking for support.
Be a Heart Hero and Complete Finn’s Mission and learn TWO life-saving skills as a family TONIGHT!
When 50% of the school registers online (213 students) our school will earn $500!
Buster (Leader) Keychain = Complete Finn’s Mission online and go in the drawing for the Buster keychain!
Finn’s Mission = Surprise Bonus with Mr. Engen!
Click HERE to see how you are helping others like the Siqueiros family!
NFL Bonus: The American Heart Association is excited to extend our work with the NFL to support improving health outcomes at home and beyond through the Hands-Only CPR education. Students that complete the Finn’s Mission learning module will earn an entry for two tickets to Super Bowl LIX in 2025 and your school will be entered to receive a $10,000 fitness equipment makeover for every 18 completed Finn’s Mission.
Late to school?
If your child is late to school, more than 10 minutes, they are considered absent....NOT tardy. If your child is marked absent you need to contact the school office to make the absence excused. Even if your child is only 15 minutes late to school, 5 Unexcused absences is considered Habitual Truant.
Elementary School Attendance Expectations
- Elementary school day runs from 7:45 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
- Supervision starts on the playground at 7:30 a.m.
- Students line up with their classrooms at 7:40 a.m.
- Students are expected to be in their seats at 7:45 a.m.
- 7:45-7:55 is tardy, anything 7:56 and beyond is unexcused unless a parent contacts the office to excuse the absence.
Weather-Your Child Needs A Coat
Please make sure that your child has a coat everyday at school. All students will be outside for recess unless it is raining or the temperature is below 10 degrees. If you are in need of winter gear, please contact the school office. We do have resources to get winter clothing for families who are in need.
It is also a good idea to have an extra change of clothes in your child's locker just in case! Mud outside, bathroom accidents, etc.
Recess Milk - Negative Food Service Balance
Reminder to families-We have had some families question why their child's balance is negative. Lunch and Breakfast are free to all students. This means an entire meal, not just a milk. If your family qualifies for the free/reduced meals program then your child can also have a free recess milk. If you do not qualify recess milk is 40¢ a day. When you log into your parent portal the home page shows your child's Food Service Balance. Please make sure you are putting money in this account so your child can have recess milk.
IMPORTANT-This balance will follow your child from school to school so any positive (or negative) balances will move on to middle and high school. If you have questions or concerns please call the office.
PTO Meeting (Virtual) - Google Meet Info
February 4, 2024, 6pm
April 8, 2024, 6pm
PTO 2023-24 Events
- Licorice Fundraiser - September
- Culver's Dine and Donate - September 25
- Fall Book Fair - October 16-20
- McTeacher Night - Dine and Donate - October 23
- Halloween Dance - October 26
- Oaklawn Family Night with The Herd - November 18
- Movie Night - February 8
- Kringle Fundraiser - February
- Spring Book Fair and Literacy Night - April 22-26
- Teacher Appreciation - May 6-10
- Dig in for Donuts - May 17
- Kona Ice Celebration - Last day of school
2022-2023 PTO Leadership Team
Co-Chairman - Cassandra Running
Co-Chairman - Samm Pamperin
Scott Johanknecht - Principal 920-424-0170 or email@example.com
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OaklawnOwlPTO