Newsletter September 30, 2022
Oct 3 - Oct7
- Spirit Week - North High School Homecoming! (See Below)
- McTeacher Night at McDonalds! (Details below)
- Walk to school day, 7:15-7:45am
- Licorice Fundraiser Pick Up Day!
- No School
Oct 17 - 21
- Scholastic Book Fair
- No School
Oaklawn Family Directory
Here is the link for those parents who would like to be a part of the Oaklawn Family Directory. Please fill out the form with the information you would like included. This is a great resource for play dates, party invitations, etc.
Let's celebrate homecoming at Oshkosh North High School! Go Spartans!!
Walk to School Day - October 7th at 7:15am
McTeacher Night - PTO
OASD Cybersecurity Update Impacting K-8 Students
The Oshkosh Area School District's commitment to student safety and student data privacy and security is on-going. With this understanding, please see below for an important email security update impacting K-8 students.
The District has disabled outside email for students in grades K-8.
- This change was made on September 9, 2022 based on the District's ongoing review of best practices and amid recent cybersecurity attacks targeting school districts.
- Parents/guardians are no longer able to email K-8 students at their district email address and K-8 students cannot email non-OASD email addresses.
- Parents/guardians who need to get information to their children during the school day should contact their school office. Additionally, parents/guardians are also able to email their child's school secretary and ask that information be shared/forwarded to their child if needed.
This information was initially shared with K-8 families on September 13, see OASD Technology Update 09.13.22: K-8 Email Access. Additional information explaining this decision is available below.
The Situation: The OASD’s Technology Team was made aware of several districts in Wisconsin who were the victims of cyberattacks as school started (Elmbrook School District Article). These attacks resulted in student, family, and staff data being compromised as well as ransomware in some instances. The OASD is deeply committed to protecting student, family, and staff information and has put in several protective measures in recent years. What we realized is that our main area of risk centered on our youngest learners in grades K-8 and a data incident could easily come from those accounts. We worked with our teachers to learn what educational impact there would be from this change and realized that having outside email is not used for education purposes in those grade levels.
What We Missed: What we missed were those instances where parents were using this email access to communicate with their children. In previous situations, and with the proliferation of students using cellphones, we observed that most communicated with their children via text. We assumed that this would continue and in those instances where that was not possible, an email or call to the building secretary would provide that line of communication as it had in past years.
Resolution Going Forward: Cybersecurity is always a balance between protection and convenience. We will continue to do everything in our power to protect students and our student, family, and staff data while at the same time trying to make things as easy and convenient as possible. We will continue monitoring the situation as it is unfolding in other districts to learn more about how the attacks occurred and what we can do to ensure it does not happen here. Unfortunately, it is not feasible to continually monitor and whitelist the emails of our 17,000 parents and guardians. We will, however, monitor the situation with our clerical staff to see what type of message volume they are relaying and at what grade levels. If there is any way to restore access without putting student, family, or staff information at risk, we will gladly do so. Until that time, please email or call your building secretary if you wish to have something relayed to your child.
CONTACT: If you have any questions related to this update or the District's commitment to data privacy and security, please contact Deputy Superitendent Dave Gundlach (email@example.com or 920.424.0016).
Youth Mental Health Awareness
- The school building has some new safety precautions this year. All visitors will be asked to stay in the lobby until they are greeted by the office by using the intercom system. If you have something to drop off, we ask that you label it with the child's name and set it on the counter in the lobby. We will be out to collect it as soon as we are able and get it to your child.
- Students need to be in their seats at 7:45am. Please try to get your child here around 7:30am so they can line up and walk in with their classmates.
- We have started a lost and found. If you child is missing an item they can come to the office and ask.
NOTES FROM THE SCHOOL NURSE
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year! Here are some reminders to help make this school year off to a great start.
All students are required to have an updated immunization record or immunization waiver on file with the school health office. If you need an immunization waiver form, please contact the school health office
Medication Forms and Emergency Action Plans need to be completed each school year and handed into the health office during an open house or the first week of school. Please click the following link if you are in need of a form: OASD Health Services
A reminder that all medications must be brought in their original containers to the health office by a parent/guardian and a medication form must be completed by a parent/guardian and signed by a physician.
Please make sure your contact information is up to date in Infinite Campus so that we can reach you in case of an emergency.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lindsey Uecker BSN, RN, NCSN
PTO Meeting (Virtual)
November 4, 2022
January 9, 2023
March 13, 2023
May 8, 2023
2022-2023 PTO Leadership Team
President: Jennifer Greenfield
Vice-President: Cassandra Running
Treasurer: Samm Pamperin
Secretary: Shannon Ackerman
Mr. Scott J: Principal 920-424-0170 or email@example.com
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OaklawnOwlPTO